Basic Skills Testing Information
According to University policy, all incoming students are required to take Basic Skills Placement Tests. Transfer students who have successfully transferred 30 or more credits are exempt from Basic Skills Placement Tests, but may be subject to the College-Level Mathematics Placement Test. No student will be considered officially registered until the required testing is complete.
The scores of the Rowan University Basic Skills Placement Tests identify skill deficiencies in Reading and Mathematics. If students' scores on the Basic Skills Placement Tests indicate that they need to strengthen skills in certain areas, they will be advised to enroll in the appropriate Basic Skills courses. Students are required to register for these courses the first semester at Rowan University.
What Basic Skills tests do I need to take?
- Reading Comprehension - Freshmen are exempt if SAT Critical Reading score is 550 or above or if ACT Reading score is 25 or above. Transfer students are exempt if an English course successfully transferred or if 30 or more credits successfully transferred.
- Elementary Algebra - Freshmen are exempt if SAT Math score is 550 or above or if ACT Math score is 25 or above. Transfer students are exempt if a college-level Math course has successfully transferred or if 30 or more credits successfully transferred.
The College-Level Mathematics Placement Test is required:
- For all students in the following majors: Biological Sciences, Business, Chemistry, Computer Science, Mathematics and Physical Science.
- For all other students desiring to take a Calculus-level course.
- Exemptions for the College-Level Mathematics Placement Test: Freshman are exempt if a grade of C or higher in AP Calculus, with High School transcript provided to the Math department. Transfer students are exempt if Pre-calculus has successfully transferred. All students who have been accepted to the College of Engineering are exempt.
When and where do I take the tests?
All tests will be administered at the Testing Center, located in the same office suite as the Academic Success Center, on the 3rd floor of Savitz Hall.
Spring (January) admits - Tests will be administered every Monday between October 21, 2013 and December 16, 2013 from 9:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. on a "walk-in" basis only. Testing can also be done anytime during the week of January 6, 2014 from 9:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m.
Fall (September) admits - Tests will be administered every Monday and Wednesday between February 3, 2014 and May 5, 2014 from 9:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. on a "walk-in" basis.
Additionally, there are appointments available for specific dates. To inquire about placement testing and/or schedule an appointment, please use firstname.lastname@example.org